A demanding full-time day programme.
The LLM in International and European law is a 60 ECTS Advanced Master’s degree obtained in one academic year (from end September until early July).
The programme offers a balanced, versatile package that consists of compulsory and optional courses as well as a Master thesis:
Giving you a broad overview (18 credits) as well as deepening insights (12 credits) into international and EU law, including a short research paper by teams of up to four students.
Specialise in either the public or business law option (12 credits), including practical exercises and a real life case study simulation, for instance in the field of European competition law.
Finish the Programme with a Masters’ thesis, worth 18 credits. Engage in an exciting intellectual journey on the topic of your choice.
Compulsory courses enriched with specialisation options.
- EU Institutional Framework and Judicial Protection
- International and Comparative Law
- Globalization, International Law & Sustainable Development
- International and European Protection of Human Rights
- EU Economic Law
- International Economic Law and Organizations
- International and EU Competition Law
- EU External Relations
Meet the Team
Our staff is a unique mixture of renowned EU scholars and top level EU and international law practitioners. They combine academic rigour with the latest practical insights in a context of cultural diversity.
Case Study Tutors
• Bertold BÄR-BOUYSSIÈRE, DLA Piper
• Etienne CLAES, LeBoeuf Lamb Greene & MacRae
• Maurits DOLMANS, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
• Rupert ELDERKIN, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
• Porter ELLIOTT, Van Bael & Bellis
• Christoph FEDDERSEN, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
• Kent KARLSSON, Kastell
• Jonas KOPONEN, Linklaters
• Anne MacGREGOR, Cadwalader
• Robert MURRAY, Mischon de Reya
• Robert O’DONOGHUE, Brick Court Chambers
• Mike PULLEN, DLA Piper
• Steven SPINKS, Sidley Austin LLP
• Irina TANASESCU, European Commission
• Bertold THEEUWES, Lorenz
• Filip TUYTSCHAEVER, Contrast. European & Business Law
• Bart DE SCHUTTER, Founding PILC Director, former President of the VUB Institute for European Studies, former VUB Rector and former Dean of the Law Faculty of the VUB
• Jonathan FAULL, Head of Task Force for Strategic Issues related to the UK Referendum
• Robert FISCHER, Legal Adviser at the European Commission (retired)
• Edward Patrick LATHAM, European Commission official (retired)
• Bernhard SCHLOH, Legal Adviser at the Council of the European Union (retired)
• Neri SYBESMA-KNOL, Former full-time Professor at the Law Faculty of the VUB, former Director of the Centre for the United Nations law (VUB)