A demanding full-time day programme.
The LLM in International and European law is a 60 ECTS Advanced Master’s degree obtained in one academic year (from end September until early July). After a solid set of core courses on EU institutional law and judicial protection, EU external relations law, public international and comparative law, human rights and competition law, students can choose to focus on one of 3 specialisation options: Public law; Business law; and Data Law. The Data Law option is a new option that will be available as of the 2018-19 academic year. See below for more details.
Giving you a broad overview (18 credits) as well as deepening insights (12 credits) into international and EU law, including a short research paper by teams of up to four students.
Specialise in either the public, business, or data law option (12 credits), including practical exercises and a real life case study simulation, for instance in the field of European competition law.
Finish the Programme with a Masters’ thesis, worth 18 credits. Engage in an exciting intellectual journey on the topic of your choice.
Compulsory courses enriched with specialisation options.
- EU Institutional Framework and Judicial Protection
- International and Comparative Law
- Globalization, International Law & Sustainable Development
- International and European Protection of Human Rights
- EU Economic Law
- International Economic Law and Organizations
- International and EU Competition Law
- EU External Relations
Meet the Team
Our staff is a unique mixture of renowned EU scholars and top level EU and international law practitioners. They combine academic rigour with the latest practical insights in a context of cultural diversity.
Case Study Tutors
• Bertold BÄR-BOUYSSIÈRE, DLA Piper
• Etienne CLAES, LeBoeuf Lamb Greene & MacRae
• Maurits DOLMANS, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
• Rupert ELDERKIN, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
• Porter ELLIOTT, Van Bael & Bellis
• Christoph FEDDERSEN, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
• Kent KARLSSON, Kastell
• Jonas KOPONEN, Linklaters
• Anne MacGREGOR, Cadwalader
• Robert MURRAY, Mischon de Reya
• Robert O’DONOGHUE, Brick Court Chambers
• Mike PULLEN, DLA Piper
• Steven SPINKS, Sidley Austin LLP
• Irina TANASESCU, European Commission
• Bertold THEEUWES, Lorenz
• Filip TUYTSCHAEVER, Contrast. European & Business Law
• Bart DE SCHUTTER, Founding PILC Director, former President of the VUB Institute for European Studies, former VUB Rector and former Dean of the Law Faculty of the VUB
• Jonathan FAULL, Head of Task Force for Strategic Issues related to the UK Referendum
• Robert FISCHER, Legal Adviser at the European Commission (retired)
• Edward Patrick LATHAM, European Commission official (retired)
• Bernhard SCHLOH, Legal Adviser at the Council of the European Union (retired)
• Neri SYBESMA-KNOL, Former full-time Professor at the Law Faculty of the VUB, former Director of the Centre for the United Nations law (VUB)